Abruzzo and Molise tour
Abruzzo and Molise are two regions of Italy that remain almost untouched by mass tourism. Our private tour will take You to discover a number of gorgeously pretty villages scattered throughout the green and wild territory stretching from the heart of the Apennines to the Adriatic Sea. Nature, history, art, age-old traditions and good food are the treasures of this still largely-undiscovered regions.
Start Your journey by exploring Chieti, one of the oldest towns in Italy and the most important city of culture in Abruzzo along with L’Aquila. From the hilltop part of the town called ‘High Chieti’ You can admire a large number of historical sites, churches and monuments going back to the Roman era and some from Norman times.
The route goes across the natural reserves of the National Park of Abruzzo, the Park of Gran Sasso and the Laga Mountains. You will first admire the enchanting scenery of the Caves of Stiffe: springs set in the rock between stalactites and stalagmites. Then visit the fortified medieval village of Santo Stefano di Sessanio, the ancient Sexantio, inhabited by only 117 persons. A short drive from this town is the spectacular Rocca Calascio, where You can enjoy one of the most stunning sights of Abruzzo region: set at 1,500m above sea level, this imposing castle-fortress is the highest mountaintop fort in Italy and one of the highest in all of Europe. The beauty of the place repays the effort of the walk!
A modern cable car will take You to the plateau of Campo Imperatore, known as Italy’s “Little Tibet”. From this large and beautiful high-altitude grassland You can enjoy breathtaking views of the Gran Sasso National Park.
You will discover L’Aquila, the historic capital of Abruzzo, founded in 1254 on the remains of the Roman site of Amiternum. Marred by numerous earthquakes during its history, the city still bears the marks of the last shock, which occurred in April 2009. The city center still preserves precious relics of the Middle Ages and numerous works of art Romanesque and Renaissance, it is worth a stroll!
Take a stroll through the picturesque village of Scanno, famous for filigree jewelry, food and the 25 remaining ladies who still wear the traditional Scanesse costume; then You will head towards Sulmona, a town full of history and known worldwide for its century-old production of confetti.
The second leg of the tour crosses the beautiful landscape of Abruzzo countryside until You will reach the Molise region. Discover the thousand years of history behind this region and its culture by visiting its archaeological sites, abbeys, small towns and countless castles. You will have the chance to admire the Samnite town of Pietrabbondante with its beautiful theatre. End the journey in Termoli, a tourist resort and port, with the stately Swabian Castle and the Romanesque Cathedral. You can walk through the narrow streets of the Old Village, admire the beautiful belvedere and see the commercial new city centre.
The rate includes
- 6 Overnights in 4* hotels on bed & breakfast basis;
- 2 dinners, drinks included;
- Minibus 18 seats for private transfers and coach services as in the program;
- Assistant during the whole tour;
- Sightseeing tours together with the assistant in Santo Stefano di Sessanio, Rocca Calascio, Campo Imperatore, L’Aquila, Scanno, Sulmona Termoli;
- Entrance tickets & regular tour of the Stiffe Caves with an English speaking local guide;
- Cable car tickets to Campo Imperatore-Gran Sasso National Park;
- Entrance tickets to Pietrabbondante archaeological site;
- Accommodations and meals for the assistant;
- Accommodations and meals for the driver
The rate does not include
- Hotel city taxes to be paid on spot;
- Single supplement (€ 360);
- Tips to driver and assistant;
- Lunches and dinners, except for the ones in Santo Stefano di Sessanio;
- ZTL and coach parkings;
- All items not specified in the chapter “the rate include”.
Day 1: Pescara - Chieti
Day 2: Chieti - Stiffe Caves - S. Stefano di Sessanio
Day 3: S. Stefano di Sessanio - Rocca Calascio - Gran Sasso N.P. - S. Stefano di Sessanio
Day 4: S. Stefano di Sessanio - L'Aquila - Scanno - Sulmona
Day 5: Sulmona - Pietrabbondante - Termoli
Day 6: Termoli
Day 7: Departure